Despite being controversial food, owing to the high incidence of adulteration, Milk is one of the most ideal and complete foods for your child. Milk provides your child with essential nutrients for good health and is shown to protect against many illnesses.
Benefits of Milk Consumption:
- Milk is a source of good quality proteins which are essential for adequate and appropriate growth of your child.
- Milk is rich in calcium and vitamin D - the 2 nutrients which are absolutely essential to build strong and healthy bones and teeth.
- Milk is a source of vitamin A which is essential for good immunity, healthy vision, growth and strong bones and teeth.
- Milk provides your child with vitamin B12 which is essential for blood formation and healthy nervous system.
- Milk is also rich in other B complex vitamins required for metabolism.
- High blood pressure and hypertension are an increasing problem being reported in children. Consumption of 2-3 portion of milk along with 5 portions of fruits and vegetables every day is shown to reduce the risk of developing hypertension in children.
- Milk consumption is also known to lower the incidence of diabetes, obesity and heart disease in children and adults alike.
- Good night's sleep is essential for overall growth and health of children. A glass of warm milk at bed stimulates the production of serotonin which helps your child sleep well at night.
Thus, milk is an ideal food and must be a part of a daily diet for your child as well as you. However, some mothers find it extremely difficult to feed milk to their child due to the dislike of smell or taste of milk.
Here are some tips to increase milk intake of your child
- Make a Milk Shake: Blend milk with a sweet fruit like banana/ chikoo / strawberry/ custard apple (with no added sugar) to make a milkshake as most kids love milkshake. Choose sweet fruits to make a milkshake.
- Make Fruit Yoghurt: Blend fruits with curd to make fruit yoghurt.
- Use Natural Flavors: Elaichi, kesar, dry fruits or vanilla pods work as a charm to increase milk acceptability.
- Chocolate Powder: Non-sweet chocolate powder can also be used. However, avoid using chocolate-based pediatric energy drinks as they are very high in calories.
- Add to the soup: Adding milk to soup would make the soup creamy and more flavoursome.
- Make chappati dough with milk: Using milk to make chappati dough would not only help you increase milk intake of your child but it will also help you make the softest chappatis you can ever cook.
- Use other Dairy products: Substitute milk with curd, low-fat paneer or low-fat cheese.Milk is an absolute essential for your child. If you child is 1-6 years of age, about 1.5 - 2 glass of milk should be included in his daily diet. For children older than 6 years 2- 3 glasses of milk should be included in daily diet. We have shared some tips with you to increase the milk intake of your child. If you have any special tips to increase the milk intake, please feel free to share with us.
Click on the link http://bit.ly/Appystore_SuccessfulParenting to watch a video on key to successful parenting.
This blog is powered by www.appystore.in
Appystore brings best apps, games, videos and worksheets for your child aged 1.5 years to 6 years, curated by child development experts.