Doesn't our heart melt when we see those pearly white smiles of our children? As a parent, it is important for us to teach our children not only the need but also the importance of brushing teeth daily. It does seem a difficult task though but if we try to make it a more enjoyable affair, the easier it is for kids to understand and learn
It surprises me to know that many parents are themselves unaware of the importance of brushing teeth as well as how many times we need to brush our teeth.
1. Need For Brushing Our Teeth
Bacteria tend to lodge in our teeth and gums especially after eating. If we do not brush our teeth for a long duration of time these bacteria start the process of tooth decay followed by cavity formation. They initially start by invading our tooth enamel followed by breaking it down and causing cavities in the tooth.
Obviously, we would not want this to happen to our children and so it is advisable if we inculcate habits of regular brushing along with educating them about the basics of oral care.
2. Start Early
No sooner has your baby cut his first teeth, we should start to care for it.
Use a baby toothbrush along with toothpaste specially meant for kids. Use no more than pea-sized toothpaste. Brush their teeth two times a day for at least two to three minutes.
While brushing their teeth, you can talk to them about the importance of brushing and the need of toothpaste to remove the dirty germs which can damage their teeth. Tell them that after eating food germs tend to settle down in their teeth which can spoil their teeth leading to severe pain and dental problems.
As they grow up and can properly hold the brush, teach them the correct techniques of brushing and allow them to brush on their own under your supervision. Explain techniques which involve circular as well as up and down motions.
3. Make It A Fun Task
Instead of making it a daily chore you can try and involve some fun element to make it more interesting for your children.
- You can involve more family members so that all can brush their teeth together. This not only makes it more enjoyable but becomes like a family tradition or so.
- You can reward your children at the end of the month for brushing their teeth regularly.
- You can purchase a toothbrush of their favorite cartoon character.
- Buy flavoured toothpaste, the one that your child likes the most. This makes it more appealing for your kids.
- You can make up a song and sing along when your child brushes their teeth.
- Make sure you consult a paediatric dentist to keep a regular tab on your child's dental health. Replace toothbrush once in 3 months and especially if your kids have been sick.
Always remember good habits if started early will always remain for a lifetime.
Click on the link http://bit.ly/Appystore_shinysmilesihave to watch video nursery rhyme 'Shiny smile' to encourage your child to brush teeth.